If you’re looking to turn your home into your own little slice of paradise, you should always begin by carrying out some good old-fashioned maintenance tasks. While they may not be as fun or glamorous as redecorating and picking out new furniture, completing these tasks is essential when it comes to managing a happy, healthy home.
With that in mind, here are the essential home maintenance tasks you should aim to complete in 2024!
- Clean your gutters. Cleaning out your gutters is a relatively simple task but one that can save you a lot of stress and money further down the line. After all, failing to clean out your gutters could lead to plumbing issues, such as blockages or cracked/damaged piping.
- Seal any gaps. Sealing any gaps in your walls, windows, door frames, and even your attic is also a crucial task. This is because it protects your home from the elements while also stopping warm air from escaping your property. Remember, even the smallest of gaps can prove problematic, as not only does this leave your home vulnerable to any changes in the weather, but it could also serve as an entryway for pests. If you notice any signs of pests within your home, it’s crucial that you reach out to a local Pest Control company right away.
- Declutter. There are many benefits associated with decluttering your home. Firstly, many studies have found that decluttering can reduce stress and anxiety, as being in cluttered areas often causes these feelings to intensify. Beyond this, however, decluttering can also help to keep your family healthy, as there are fewer places for dust and other allergens to gather.
- Test your smoke alarms. It is typically recommended that you check your smoke alarms once a month. Despite this being an important health and safety precaution, 22% of homeowners admit to never testing their alarms, putting the safety of themselves, their family, and their property at risk. As such, you should start off the year on the right foot by testing your smoke alarms alongside any other alarms you may have in the house.
- Bring in the experts when necessary. If, during a routine home inspection, you encounter any serious maintenance issues within your home – such as leaking or damaged pipes or electrical faults, it is crucial that you don’t try to carry out these tasks single-handedly. After all, unless you’re a plumber or an electrician, the chances are that you’ll make the issue worse – not better. Conversely, while they come at an extra expense, a professional will carry out the tasks to a high standard and as quickly as possible.
- Deep clean. Alongside decluttering, deep cleaning is also an essential maintenance task you should carry out this year. During this time, pay particular attention to tasks that may be neglected during more routine cleaning. For example, this could mean that you clean the skirting boards or spaces behind large and bulky furniture. Doing so will help you to maintain a spotlessly clean home.